Search This Blog

Friday 5 February 2016

Outside In

I have just started fitting the windows to the model Discovery. I have only put in two windows so far but I have already decided that I should have designed them a different way.

I would have got more realistic results if I had created the body with a slight inset lip round most of the window frames. I could then have stuck the windows on, individually, from the outside. That would be exactly like the real vehicle.

The vacuum formed windows are forced in to a slight curve, even though the mold is sharp, so they cannot fit truly flush with the body. If they were formed as curves without the inset and there was an edge to fit them to, I am sure I could cut them to an exact fit with the pillars.

I will complete the model as is and get as close as I can but for any future models I'll do the windows another way.

No comments :