Monday, 10 June 2019

Desktop monitor curved in both directions

This thought came to me when someone suggested a portrait monitor to avoid lots of scrolling.

It occurred to me that you could have a section of a sphere to get the benefit of both a landscape and a portrait monitor.

Expanding on that, it would probably be better if it was square rather than circular.

Something about 90cm (35") square would be the ideal size. Anything wider and I've found that it requires too much head movement to be comfortable.

The radius would be the same in both directions and similar to the generally established norm for the current crop of curved wide screen landscape monitors. A desktop monitor would therefore have a radius of about 1800mm (1800R.)

Using current standards the resolution would be 3840x3840 pixels.


Friday, 7 June 2019

A history of the garden

This is the evolution of our garden since we have owned the property.

It did not look like the above when we moved in November 2004.


Monday, 20 May 2019

Open garden

On Sunday 19 May we opened our garden to raise money for charity. This is part of the National Garden Scheme.

It was an excellent day. Busy from the start to the finish.

I did not have time to take any photos, most of these were taken by our friend Christine Brenkley and she was kind enough to allow me to share them.

We were worried if we would get anyone coming but we had 146 visitors, the first arriving a little before we planned to open.

Our Mums were on the gate all day, collecting the entrance fees and generally chatting with everyone who arrived.

Keith helped Dean with the forge and blacksmithing demonstration while Vanessa and I served tea, coffee and cakes. Claire arrived to look round and ended up helping out in the kitchen, mainly washing up all day. Shelley pointed out and named the plants to interested visitors.

Our family and friends helped make the day successful and fun. Thank you, to all.


Sunday, 28 April 2019

Big sign

We needed to put a sign outside to advertise Shelley's garden open days. Sunday 19 May and Sunday 16 June 2019.

She's letting people in to view the garden in order to raise money for charity. See the entry in the National Open Garden Scheme.

As part of the supplied stationery, we have some paper posters however, these are not going to survive the weather for very long. I put up a temporary solution in a plastic sleeve but to look nicer and to last a bit longer, we need something a little different.

Something 3D printed.

The 3D printer I have is an Ultimaker 2+. Its build area is 220mm x 220mm. That is not large enough for the sign I had in mind. I have, therefore, designed it in multiple parts.

I may have got carried away.

In addition to the 3D printed elements, I've made the supporting structure.

Now we just need people to come on the days.