Sunday, 18 September 2016

Repair a split belt

I had worn one belt so much that it split along the inner and outer layers of leather in two places. I hadn't worn it for ages because of that.


I had a few minutes yesterday and decided to try to repair it.



It has a cardboard inner layer, so I re-attached that first to one side and added a patch where some of it was missing. I then glued the other side to that.

I used Evostick contact adhesive as that seamed the most obvious glue to use.
Applied to each side then left for a couple of minutes until touch dry.



I used a roller to get it as flat as possible before clamping. It's instant adhesive but I left it for nearly a day before wearing the belt.


I needed to clean a little of the adhesive off the outer surfaces and from inside the holes. I just used a spike for the holes and rubbed the glue off with my fingers.


So far so good.

No comments :